William ritchie, md
Board-Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
Subspecialty Certificate in Sports Medicine
Graduate of the AAOS Leadership Fellow Program
Fellowship-Trained in Surgical Research
Dr. William Ritchie is an orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in injuries and conditions of the shoulder and knee, occupational medicine, sports medicine and trauma at New Mexico Orthopaedics. His approach to all forms of treatment, including surgical methods, is conservative in nature.
Dr. Ritchie strongly believes in treating the whole person rather than focusing solely on the injury or condition. He views each patient as an athlete in his or her own right—an individual who needs to “get back in the game” at full capacity, whether that activity is work, play or life in general. He enjoys the hands-on opportunity to use his knowledge and skills to fix injuries and return people to a full and active lifestyle.
Prior to joining the team at New Mexico Orthopaedics, Dr. Ritchie proudly served his country in the United States Air Force and was Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery at Albuquerque’s own Kirtland Air Force Base. He is also proud to be one of the first surgeons in the state of New Mexico to earn the Subspecialty Certificate in Sports Medicine from the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. In addition to being an avid skier, Dr. Ritchie enjoys cycling and running. He is also a novice auto racer.
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX
- Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas, TX
- Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas, TX and University of Alabama Medical Center, Birmingham, AL
- University of Texas Health Science Center, Dallas, TX and American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) LFP
- United States Air Force
- New Mexico Orthopaedic Surgery Center
- Presbyterian Hospital
- Heart Hospital of New Mexico
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- New Mexico Medical Society
- Greater Albuquerque Medical Association
- New Mexico Orthopaedic Association
- New Mexico Workers Compensation Association
- NM Workers Comp Administration Medical Advisory Board
- AP Capital Insurance Medical Advisory Board