Based on 8 reviews
See Dr. Averna's profile on Healthgrades.
Justin Averna, DO
Board-Certified in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Board-Certified in the Subspecialty of Pain Medicine
Fellowship-Trained in Interventional Pain Medicine
The most rewarding part of my day is knowing I’ve done my absolute best for my patients–I lie awake at night if I don’t give 100%. I am a very lucky man to have others entrust me for their care. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation is all about restoring function and allowing patients to live their best life possible–I am extremely blessed to be in a position to help others along their journeys in life.
I genuinely care about all of my patients and treat them like family. I had my first spine surgery at 17-years-old and then required 2 additional surgeries. My surgeries have given me firsthand experience as a patient–I know what it is like to live in chronic pain, navigate the complicated medical system, go through diagnostic testing / work-ups and rehabilitate through major surgeries. I have been very fortunate, as these life events have shaped me into a physician that can truly empathize with my patients.
Thus, I spend every minute I have available with my patients explaining their spine (musculoskeletal) issues in easy-to-understand ways, go through all imaging in detail with the patient (best way for one to feel “ownership” of what’s going on with your body) and devise a comprehensive, individualized treatment plan (not a cookie cutter approach).
I grew up in Albuquerque and did most of my medical training in Philadelphia, PA. In 2016, I returned to New Mexico with my beautiful wife to raise our 3 young children in the Land of Enchantment. I am forever grateful to be back to serve the people of New Mexico. I love music, the outdoors, spending time with my family and geeking out on automobiles I will never own.
- University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
- Graduated with summa cum laude honors
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Graduated with Sigma Sigma Phi Osteopathic Honors
- Chief Resident, Temple University Hospital / Moss Rehabilitation; Philadelphia, PA
- Margo and Daniel Polett Humanitarian Resident Award
- Resident of the Year
- University of New Mexico Hospital, Albuquerque, NM
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation – Pain Medicine Subspecialty
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Spine Intervention Society
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
- North American Neuromodulation Society
- Presbyterian Hospital
- New Mexico Surgery Center